If gourd aphid appeared on cucumbers, how to deal with it? This question is very common among gardeners. After all, even with proper care, aphids can still affect cucumbers. And this happens due to different factors.
Before considering ways to control aphids, you should familiarize yourself with the features of this pest.
How cucumbers are affected by aphids
Initially, gourd aphid settles on the reverse sides of the leaves of weed grass. As a rule, it hibernates in the phase of larvae or wingless insects. And as soon as the ambient temperature rises to 5 ° C, the larvae wake up. Just at this time, they need the nutrition they receive from plants.
Initially, it feeds on the aphids by the juices of the same weed grass. During this period, it is completely safe, since it simply does not make sense for pests to switch to other plants. But a little later, the aphids become so many that there is simply not enough juice from the leaves for all the pests. Then individual individuals turn into butterflies and fly on gourds, in particular on cucumbers.
Just during this period, the plants already have the main leaves. Butterflies lay larvae on the backs of these leaves, and new individuals hatch very quickly from them. Aphid breeds very rapidly, and therefore carries a great danger to the harvest of cucumbers.
Recognizing gourds is quite simple. These are small bugs of a yellowish or green color. Sometimes aphids can be black, gray or white. They are very small, but it is easy to notice their cluster if you turn the leaf over with the lower side to the light. As soon as aphids are seen on cucumbers, immediate action is required. The danger to plants lies not only in the fact that pests will drink juices, but also at the risk of infection with dangerous infections. After all, aphids are their carrier.
Fighting aphids on cucumbers
In order to prevent the appearance of aphids on cucumbers, it is also necessary to take appropriate measures. Indeed, timely protection of garden crops is the best way to control pests. The fight against aphids that has already settled on cucumbers is more difficult, since it can appear again.
- It is imperative to cultivate the soil in the fall, when all the plants have already been dug up. The best way to destroy fungi, aphids, other harmful insects and their larvae are sulfur drafts. Smoke from them can scare away pests, and even kill some. Aphids simply suffocate from such acrid smoke.
- Constantly monitor the cleanliness of the garden. It is necessary to destroy weeds in a timely manner. If artificial preparations are not used to remove them, then you just need to tear out and burn weed grass. So aphids will be much less likely to settle in the garden.
- It is necessary to carefully monitor the cleanliness of the greenhouse or greenhouse. And this applies to both small greenhouses and huge greenhouses. The upper part of the soil once a year must be removed, and in that place to fill up new soil. All wooden parts of the structure must be periodically whitened. But glass, metal and plastic parts should be thoroughly washed with a solution of copper sulfate, and then rinsed. This is especially true for those hotbeds where aphids have previously settled.
Aphid control methods
The best protection against aphids on cucumbers is prevention. But what to do if aphid has already appeared on cucumbers in a greenhouse, how to deal with it? As a rule, the use of chemicals is highly undesirable. After all, plants bear fruit, so chemicals in the future can cause significant harm to human health. It is important to choose effective and at the same time safe folk remedies for combating aphids on cucumbers. Consider them now in more detail.
- It helps well and does not bring any harm to plants or to humans, ordinary peel of onions. But it will only be necessary to get somewhere half a bucket of such husks, since the infusion should be strong enough. Half a bucket of husk is poured with hot water, covered with a lid and infused for 24 hours. The ratio of husk and water should be in a ratio of 1: 1. After a specified time, all this should be filtered through cheesecloth. The resulting liquid is used to spray cucumbers. The husk exudes a sharp onion smell, and the aphids do not like it at all. Only the plants need to be processed completely, paying more attention to the underside of the leaves.
- If there are a lot of aphids, then the following remedy will help to cope with it. You will need green or ordinary household soap and shag. You need to take about 400 g of shag and about 80 g of dry soap shavings. Pour all this into a bucket and pour hot water. Stir well. Insist the remedy for about 2 days. Then treat all the plants with the resulting composition. Practice shows that after the first such treatment, aphids on cucumbers in a greenhouse die very quickly. But a few more treatments should be carried out so that the remaining young individuals and larvae definitely disappear.
- A good effect is given by bitter peppers in the fight against aphids. But you only need to use it carefully so as not to burn the plants. It is necessary to take about 50 g of pepper and pour 1 liter of boiling water in an enameled bowl. Cover and insist for 2 hours. Then the resulting composition is diluted with still warm water so that the total volume is 10 liters. The resulting solution is the treatment of plants.
How to deal with aphids on cucumbers using safe folk methods has now become clear. Many shop preparations also help with aphids. But almost all of them contain chemicals, so killing them with aphids on plants that are just about to bear fruit or already bear fruit is strongly discouraged. Therefore, it is best to use proven folk recipes. And remember that in order to destroy aphids, you need to process plants several times. Only in this way will it be possible to get rid of these pests for a long time with affordable means, without damaging the plants and their own health.