Hydrastis (Canadian yellow root, golden root) is a representative of the Ranunculaceae family. Used as a homeopathic medicine.
What does Canadian yellow root look like and where does it grow
A low shrub (up to 15 - 30 cm) with an upright stalk and palmately dissected into 3 - 9 lobes leaves with a heart-shaped base. Usually on a rounded stem there are two leaf plates, one of which is at the base of the plant, and the other is closer to the top. The powerful knotty rhizome of gray-yellow hue has small adventitious roots.
The top of the stem is decorated with single pink and white flowers that do not contain a corolla. The number of stamens is from 40 to 70 pieces. Perennial begins to bloom in the last month of spring, and in July you can see the appearance of fleshy fruits, vaguely reminiscent of raspberries. Red berries contain 1 - 2 black smooth seeds with a dense peel.
Perennial prefers shady moist deciduous forests of Canada and North America. Breeding is possible in many areas of Russia and in Ukraine.
Useful and medicinal properties of Canadian yellow root
The unique plant contains the following components:
- biologically active alkaloids hydrastin and berberine, which forms a yellow color;
- essential oils and bitterness;
For medicinal purposes, only the underground part of the plant is used. Yellow root is a powerful tonic that helps with gastrointestinal tract pathologies, heavy bleeding during menstruation, respiratory diseases, hypertension, and inflammatory processes. Preparations containing this product as a basis are prescribed for colds, in gynecological practice and for improving the functioning of the digestive tract. Experts attribute hydrastis to the best antibiotic among natural remedies.
Features of the procurement of medicinal herbs
About contraindications of a medicinal plant
- The use of drugs with Canadian yellow root should be carried out according to the instructions. The concentration of medicinal herbs is ideal for strengthening immunity.
- It is forbidden to take medicine in case of individual intolerance and allergic reaction to the contained components. In addition, experts do not recommend the use of Hydrastis for pregnant and lactating women.
- Long-term use of drugs based on yellow root leads to a risk of disruption of the digestive tract, which will recover after stopping the use of these drugs.
About the benefits of Canadian yellow root tea
Manufacturers have launched the release of medicines from hydrastis, since it was believed that in this form it can bring maximum benefit. Unlike antibiotics, tea does not kill the beneficial intestinal microflora by acting selectively.
Having the ability to restore mucous tissues, yellow root successfully fights against peptic ulcer, pancreatitis, stomatitis. The medicinal plant helps to improve the condition in violation of carbohydrate metabolism, skin pathologies and allergies of various origins.
To make tea, you need to brew a teaspoon of the herb in 500 ml of boiling water and let it brew for 20 minutes.
- to get rid of wounds on the gums, pour tea into a cup, dip a toothbrush into it and brush your teeth and gums;
- to cope with problems in the sinuses, you need to draw tea in through your nose;
- for eye treatment, a teaspoon of boric acid should be added to tea from yellow root, then a teaspoon of the resulting composition should be diluted in water (half a cup) and instilled (rinsed) in the eyes.
Since alkaloids have a bitter taste, other herbs can be added or sweetened with honey, for example, to improve the taste of yellow root tea.
Recipes of traditional medicine with the use of hydrastis
Although unique raw materials are included in the composition of pharmacological preparations, they can be prepared independently. Rhizomes are dug up from the plant no earlier than 3 years after planting, since by this time the largest amount of hydrastine accumulates.
Several recipes are offered:
- Alcohol tincture. 10 gr. Raw materials should be filled with 100 ml of alcohol-containing liquid, closed and insisted for 2 weeks. Then strain and drip 10 drops of nasal discharge and colitis.
- Problem areas of the skin must be lubricated with tincturediluted in 100 ml of distilled water. The solution is also used for douching during infection of the genitals.
- Women suffering from heavy periods, accompanied by pain, as well as with constipation it is necessary to take twice a day for 20 drops of tincturedissolved in 100 ml of water.
- To remove skin growths, 10 gr. roots should be brewed in a glass of water and boil over low heat for 10 minutes. Then solution to cool and lubricate skin growths.
- To get rid of conjunctivitis is necessary instill eyes with a solution of 10 drops of alcohol tincture, diluted in 100 ml of water.
Canadian Yellow Root in Homeopathy
In classical homeopathy, the raw material of the herbaceous shrub is used as a hemostatic in the presence of submicous myomas, internal bleeding, and hemorrhagic endometritis.
Hydrastis canadensis (Hydrastis canadensis) is a common drug made from the root of the plant. The main objective of the drug is to maintain in an active state the body's defenses at the level that is necessary for the successful fight against the disease. In view of this feature, the frequency of administration and dosage is determined by the homeopath.
Patient reviews indicate that remedies based on a medicinal plant effectively fight chronic ulcerative processes in people whose body does not respond to conventional treatments and methods. Root extract preparations are widely used to increase blood pressure. In addition, hydrastis is characterized by choleretic, antimicrobial and astringent properties.
All actions in the treatment of internal diseases are recommended to be carried out under the supervision of a physician. External therapy is allowed without medical supervision.
What herbs can be collected in June
Canadian yellow root is especially indicated for easily weary, elderly people. After applying the funds based on it, the patient feels the strengthening of intelligence, easily expresses thoughts and feels the increase in the body's defenses. The plant can be brewed as tea in combination with other herbs.