Pelargonium, which is called geranium by many gardeners, is a well-known room culture. The beneficial properties of geranium for humans and its medicinal purpose are known to few. However, choosing such a plant as a component for the treatment of ailments, it is necessary to take into account not only its medicinal properties, but also contraindications.
The chemical composition of pelargonium
Fragrant geranium has not only a memorable smell, but also a practically unique chemical composition. Harvesting of useful raw materials is carried out during the flowering period. For cutting, a flower is used, as well as a stem. The use of rhizomes is insignificant, therefore, this part of the plant is rarely used as a medicinal raw material. Useful and medicinal properties of geraniums are due to:
- Vitamin C
- essential oil;
The main value of such a perennial is the abundant amount of bactericidal substances secreted by the plant in the process of life. When combined with air, such components have an overwhelming effect on pathogenic microflora.
Bioenergy benefits of room geranium
Indoor geranium, or pelargonium, is not only a very attractive plant with bright flowers, but also an excellent absorber of negative energy. Despite the fact that a huge number of varieties of such a perennial ornamental plant are known,When choosing room geranium, you need to consider its color:
- red geranium It is a powerful source of vital energy and strength. Such a plant is able to give its owner a supply of positive internal energy. A flower grower with such a perennial is less likely to be exposed to the negative effects of stress, and is also very well protected from chronic fatigue or overwork;
- pink geranium They rightly consider it to be a talisman of strong relations of married couples and all lovers. Such a room flower will be a great gift for everyone who seeks to find their happiness or wants to preserve already created family relationships;
- white geranium is a symbol of pure and unselfish love, so it will be the perfect gift for the wedding. According to legend, white geranium allows in conception and should be placed in the bedroom;
- purple indoor geranium not only looks very original and spectacular in the home interior, but also allows you to fill the soul of its owner with spiritual values.
It should be remembered that precisely purple indoor flowers of any kind can distract from worldly fuss. According to experts practicing Feng Shui, the aroma of geraniums spreading throughout the apartment allows you to get rid of the inferiority complex and self-destructive emotions, helps to quickly recover from unpleasant conversations, helps to develop and strengthen the feeling of love and mutual understanding.
The healing properties of pelargonium
The healing properties of home geranium for humans
Indoor geranium helps normalize blood pressure. As practice shows, it is enough to attach a small leaf of such a plant to the wrist. Also, this odorous plant very effectively stimulates blood flow and allows you to normalize your heart rate. Pelargonium is very widely used to treat acute respiratory viral diseases. For this purpose, tincture or freshly squeezed juice is used.
Pelargonium helps with otitis media very well, for which you just need to curl a leaf of the plant and lay it inside the inflamed ear.
Indoor flower can also help in the prevention and treatment of the following diseases:
- chronic fatigue;
- stomach upset;
- purulent wounds.
A plant used for medicinal purposes must be completely healthy and well developed, without signs of disease or insect pests.
The use of pelargonium in cosmetology
Despite the fact that geranium and pelargonium are plants from different genera of the same family, amateur gardeners often confuse them. As an ethereal perennial plant, pink pelargonium is cultivated, which is a hybrid form of many species. The oil of this plant is a popular female aphrodisiac. Also Geranium essential oil is characterized by the following properties:
- tones up dry skin;
- It has a rejuvenating effect on dry, tired, normal and oily skin;
- beneficial effect on problem skin;
- normalizes the processes of fat metabolism and improves complexion;
- has a pronounced whitening effect;
- able to cure acne in adolescence;
- effectively fights fine wrinkles;
- helps in getting rid of cellulite.
The product is used in aroma lamps, cold inhalations, soothing or tonic baths, compresses, massages, as well as in conjunction with other herbal cosmetics.
The oil helps to eliminate dandruff, therefore it is included in the composition of special therapeutic compositions aimed at preventing and getting rid of hair loss. Application of undiluted oil applications helps regenerate damaged skin, rapid restoration of the skin during frostbite and burns, and also saves from fungal infections and dermatitis.
Geranium Oil: Properties
Using the plant in cooking
Fragrant pelargonium is the most famous and popular addition to baking and jelly. Such a plant gives aroma and piquancy to many other culinary products as well:
- leaflets of varieties with a pronounced lemon, mint or pink aroma are often added to iced tea, butter and ice cream;
- fragrant geranium with the aroma of roses and lemon, you can add layer by layer to flour or granulated sugar, which allows you to give a delicate and very delicate aroma;
- candied leaves using egg white and sugar, can be used to decorate pies and all kinds of desserts.
Other culinary possibilities of using decorative aromatic perennial leaves include the inclusion of plant materials in fruit punches, herbal vinegars, all kinds of salads, biscuit dough and rolls, festive bread, cream cheese products and rice dishes. Geranium syrups are used in jelly, sorbets, mousses and ice cream. Shredded fresh pelargonium will also be a great addition to fresh or frozen fruits.
Fragrant geranium: contraindications
The restriction in the use of any drugs obtained using room pelargonium is the presence in the history of diseases such as peptic ulcer and gastritis of various origins. Such drugs and folk remedies are also contraindicated for pregnant women and the elderly. The internal use of infusions and decoctions for the treatment of children of preschool and primary school age is not recommended. Important to remember and the restriction caused by individual intolerance and allergic reactions.
How to grow geranium
Pelargonium for many years is the most famous houseplant, the care of which does not require special knowledge and a lot of time. And the presence of a large number of useful properties makes this very beautifully flowering decorative perennial popular among amateur gardeners, and also very revered not only in folk, but also in official medicine in many countries.